This is a complete guide for installing FreeSWITCH™ and its minimum prerequisites on macOS, including instructions for establishing 24x7 operation.
What Can You Do With FreeSWITCH™?
FreeSWITCH™ is a software program that controls and manages VOIP phones and connections to Internet Telephony Service Providers (ITSP) and other phone systems. To illustrate some features, here is an incoming call to our system: Normal ringing is replaced by: “Hi Brandi, hold on while our phones ring”, phones ring and Brandi hears music, after 25 seconds: “hold on Brandi while our iPhones ring", internal phones keep ringing and multiple iPhones ring, if no answer: “sorry we missed you Brandi, please leave a message”, Brandi’s voicemail is taken and emailed to multiple iPhones!
Who Are These Pages For?
This document is for people who want to install FreeSWITCH™ on macOS and are not familiar with Linux/Unix commands and directories.
What Is Available on the FreeSWITCH™ macOS Wiki?
Here is a list of the macOS Wiki pages:
Getting started with Installing FreeSWITCH™ on macOS
Automated installation using an installer utility
Manual installation using the Terminal command line
Basic testing and diagnosing problems
Customization and tips such as headless Mac
24x7 operation and automatic restart of FreeSWITCH™
Email voicemail files to an iPhone
Archive - Goes back to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
How This Documentation Was Developed and Maintained
FreeSWITCH™ is tested on a Mac Mini, iMac or MacBook Pro. The 24x7 FreeSWITCH™ runs on a headless Mac Mini. I replaced a VOIP PBX in 2010 with FreeSWITCH™ on macOS for home and business. There was little macOS information so I documented what I learned through searching, trial and error, the FreeSWITCH™ mailing list, etc. and created this documentation.
macOS Wiki History
Major changes occurred:
- March 12, 2017 - Created "Manual Installation", "Testing and Diagnosis", "24x7 Preparation", "Email Voicemails" split from other pages
- October 18, 2015 - Split installation and customization pages, combine installation sections, updated for FreeSWITCH™ 1.6, OS X 10.11 and Xcode 7, archive OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8
- April 28, 2014 - Major updates for new OS X releases and Xcode
- Mar 21, 2013 - extensively updated and split into multiple pages
- Nov 22, 2010 - Created initial documentation