New To You
A new folder (directory) named /usr/local, it's part of the Linux/UNIX standard directories. We'll also use the Linux/Unix commands: cd, mkdir, ls, cp, mv,chmod, chown, and sudo. You don't need to learn about them unless you change the steps or directories used in this document.
- Apple Command Line Tools and Compilers that provide the tools needed to generate everything else
- Prerequisite packages that FreeSWITCH™ needs to function
- FreeSWITCH™ itself
It takes one to two hours to have the sample FreeSWITCH™ configuration running on macOS. There's extra information for technical people who want it, don't be concerned if you don't understand it.
All of the software this procedure installs can be removed easily. However, to restore to a point where nothing was added or changed, a backup is required.
Terminal Application Preferences
The Terminal application is used extensively during installation. The following changes are highly recommended:
- Copy Terminal in the Applications/Utilities folder into the Dock for quick access.
- Start the Terminal application by clicking it in the dock. Then open its preferences panel.
- In Settings–>Profiles–>Window change the Window Size to larger values such as 140x48 to reduce having to resize the window often.
brew install autoconf automake curl jpeg ldns libpq libsndfile libtiff libtool lua openssl opus pcre pkg-config speex speexdsp sqlite signalwire/homebrew-signalwire/flite signalwire/homebrew-signalwire/libks signalwire/homebrew-signalwire/signalwire-c
|Ignore any keg-only messages, they mean an alias (link) for the package was not placed into /usr/local/bin because brew found that macOS has another version installed. This is not a problem because the FreeSWITCH™ installation process searches Homebrew directories to find prerequisite packages.|
If non-Apple compilers are installed, or prerequisites were installed without homebrew, there may be problems.
macOS is now ready to download and install FreeSWITCH™. First, change to the directory the source will be downloaded into:
The primary FreeSWITCH™ releases are: Current public release, recommended for production systems. Current branch, contains in-test fixes since current public release, intended as the next maintenance release. Master development, containing the latest fixes and features, intended as the next major release. Additional Information is located at Source Options.
Download Current Public Release
- Use the Finder to navigate to the /usr/local/src/freeswitch directory.
- Scroll to and double-click modules.conf in the freeswitch directory, the first time requires application selection, Textedit should be used.
- Search for "flite" and remove the # to uncomment.
- Save the file.
If this is your first FreeSWITCH™ don't add more than the FLITE module. Some modules may have prerequisites in addition to what is listed in this procedure.
Compile, Create Additional Source Directories and Check for Errors
To update Homebrew and its formulas run "brew update" in Terminal, this should be run prior to upgrading packages. To upgrade all packages, run "brew upgrade", or to upgrade a single package run "brew upgrade package-name" command.
rm -rf /usr/local/Cellar /usr/local/.git && brew cleanup sudo rm -r /Library/Caches/Homebrew # (macOS prompts for the administrator password)
Remove the Command Line Toole
- Move the /Library/Developer directory to the trash. Or delete it in Terminal (macOS prompts for the administrator password):
sudo rm -r /Library/Developer
Remove Everything Else